Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg & Co.

Discuss any director that doesn't have their own forum, or suggest ones you think should have.

Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg & Co.

Postby Master Blaster » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:01 am

Discuss the glory that is Spaced, Shaun of the Dead and the recent cop-comedy masterpiece Hot Fuzz!

I loved Hot Fuzz. The Wayans Brothers and the co-directors of the reference-a-recent-movie-and-insert-a-dick-joke "comedies" Date Movie and Epic Movie (no, I didn't see them, but I got the general jist) should be tied up and forced to watch both Shaun of the Dead and this film, Clockwork Orange style, until they learn how to do a parody right. This movie is absolutely pitch-perfect. Not only does it lovingly spoof the gun-toting machismo and sweet-natured, subliminal homoeroticism of buddy cop movies like Lethal Weapon, it also homages rural thrillers like Straw Dogs, and Euro/Brit horrors (especially The Wicker Man). The cast is wonderful, from Simon Pegg's no-nonsense Nicholas Angel and Nick Frost's sweetly dim-witted Danny Butterman to Timothy Dalton's sneering, scenery chewing evil supermarket owner to the supporting turns from Jim Broadbent, Edward Woodward, Paul "Belloq" Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Bill Nighy.

Although I thought Shaun was a more character-driven, emotional film, with quite a few things to say about friendships and human relationships as well as being a spot-on zombie comedy, Hot Fuzz is probably a funnier movie. By a teensy margin, because they're both hilarious, and so is Spaced. Definatley see this movie if you just want to see a comedy done right.
Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
Master Blaster

Postby Okagesan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:32 pm

I think the most brilliant thing about Shaun of the Dead was the fight scene at the Winchester Pub.

Don't stop me now....

He always walked as if he was from the Ministry of Silly Walks.
Okagesan

Postby god emperor steve » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:40 pm

Hot Fuzz was brilliant. I went to a special early showing jam packed with Shaun fanboys and with a Q and A with the guys afterwards too, which made it even more awesome.

As far as Hot Fuzz vs Shaun debate, I'd have to say that Hot Fuzz was more fun overall.
god emperor steve

Postby Arran » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Hot Fuzz is no longer playing in the UK, so I'll have to wait for the DVD :(
I loved Shaun of the Dead, though.
Arran
Site Admin

Postby Kaboose » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Everything they do is incomparably brilliant.
Kaboose

Postby Oz Rembrandt » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Simon Pegg is my favourite comedy actor ever. Spaced struck such a chord with me, because it really is a down to Earth sitcom which I can relate to well, but it maintains great surreal and genius movie and pop-culture references. I'd say its my favourite sitcom.

Shaun of the Dead is Spaced, but with Zombies. Whats not to love? Brilliantly written and acted. Superb.

Hot Fuzz was equally genius, and Edgar Wright's style hasn't changed one bit since Spaced at all, and it continues to please!
Oz Rembrandt

Postby drawingfool » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:03 am

I haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet! :( Either way, I loved Shaun of the dead, it was very down to earth as Oz said: it wasn't trying to be ironic or anything: just about a dude trying to protect his girl and friends, family from zombies. Simon Pegg's rather cute too!
It's Johnny Mathis-get my gun!
-Mystery Science theatre 3000
drawingfool

Postby john13 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 am

I LOVE shaun of the dead & hot fuzz!!! They're among my favorite movies! I love zombie movies. I was watching dawn of the dead earlier tonight :).
Bring on another film! Maybie one parodying the clesch'es of sci-fi perhaps?
Anyone seen Run fatboy run yet? Its more like black books I assume. (Yes, I know its by a different crew but its simular)
john13

Postby Oz Rembrandt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:19 pm

john13 wrote:Anyone seen Run fatboy run yet? Its more like black books I assume. (Yes, I know its by a different crew but its simular)

Yes, and it's superb and in no way like Black Books at all. Ever. Not even close. Just because it has Dylan Moran in, doesn't mean it should be.

Anyway, great film, kudos to David Schwimmer's directing.
Oz Rembrandt

Return to Other Filmmakers