Sweeney Todd!

He made that film about that bloke with scissors for hands. Freddy Whatshisname.

Sweeney Todd!

Postby Arran » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 pm

So what did everyone think of Burton's latest? Personally, I loved it. Despite all the grandiose bloodletting, it's really an intimate musical and a big improvement on the underwhelming pair of films Timmy released in 2005. I only wish I could have seen it again before it left the stupid cinema I work at. Hopefully it'll get a rerelease with the benefit of some Oscar noms.
Arran
Site Admin

Postby bohemian » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I saw it twice (hopefully once more before it leaves the cinema) and I loved it both times. There are flaws (some more noticable than others) but I thought Burton did a great job capturing the essence of the stage production for the screen. Depp and Bonham-Carter, especially, were quite impressive as the score is quite complex. (Depp did a fantastic job with "Epiphany" and Bonham-Carter really shone in "The Worst Pies In London" as well as "By The Sea").
bohemian

Postby Sélavy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm

I want to see Sweeney Todd! But they've postphoned the release date to somewhere February. :cry:
Sélavy

Postby Meph » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 am

Excellent.. wasn't as bloody as everyone made it out to be...
i thought it was going to be much worse.....

thats 4 quality films/ in a row.. he can't keep this up.. lol his gotta pull a Ape out of the hat at some point.. lol defiantly his best of the 00s so fair.. CATCF was though film to follow.. but Todd stomps all over that.

not only was it your typical same Tim Burton film.. but alittle different.. just alittle.. not because its a musical but the story and the way it was shot.. excellent stuff... singing was excellent, though Rickmen probably had the worse singing voice but i wont hold that ageist him of obviously reasons, the unknown actors did an amazing job..

few problems...though.
one the Beggar woman.. they really needed to give her more on screen time to make it clear who she was... at the end you don't know enough about her to care, and who love story thing between Todd's daughter and that chap seemed pointless in telling the story.. they didn't really do anything in allowing the story to progress. but i don't care.

Oh and lots of credit to Sacha.. his cameo was brilliant.. I'm not a fan and i was worried about him being involved but i wouldn't have minded if he had a bigger role... he did a excellent job.. i guess the fact he REALLY wanted the part should have convinced me..well seeing it certainly did...

bit that freaked me out the most was the end sound effect.. of the blood dripping off Sweeney.. it sounded horrible,

the ending seems to be cut short.....kinda left wondering what happend to the others.. feels like there sould have been an extra 20 minutes to fill in the end and to give the beggar woman more screen time.
Meph

Postby Vonni » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 pm

Sélavy wrote:I want to see Sweeney Todd! But they've postphoned the release date to somewhere February. :cry:

Why on earth would they do that?

As for me I'm still at just three viewings. But I think they must counting earnings wrong, because all three viewings the theater was PACKED, the second time we had to sit in the icky front and that near packed, it was like the At World's End premiere all over again! And the POTC one was in a small town, everyone must've been there!

Everything was excellent, if you couldn't tell already. :D I really thought all of the actors were right on to their characters, Helena was devilishly charming and funny, Sacha (although not in for an extremely long time) really left his mark...Alright, alright, I could go on for the next hour, but it's really worth seeing for anyone who hasn't. The songs, oh man, those are just fantastic!

Thar you have it, yet another good word on the others.
Vonni

Postby Meph » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 pm

anyone notice the actors who played Mr Gloop and slugworth in this?

they were there....
Meph

Postby Golden Wolf » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 am

I dug the hell out of that film. Beautiful, violent and a nice return to Burton's Batman Returns style of nihilism.
Golden Wolf

Return to Tim Burton