Jurassic Park is da bomb, yo!

I don't care what anyone says, Senor Spielbergo is bueno.

Jurassic Park is da bomb, yo!

Postby Arran » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:16 am

Although I don't think this is Spielberg's best film (that would be probably be Jaws, Raiders or Schindler's List) in many ways it's my favourite. I still have fond memories of going to see this over and over again during the summer of 93. Nothing topped that first viewing, though.
Unlike movies now days, the trailers barely hinted at what was in the film and just showed quick glimpses of the animatronic dinosaurs. So when I finally saw the film I was literally gobsmacked. CGI has been refined since, but I'd argue it's never been used as effectively as those six minutes in Jurassic Park. The sight of the dinosaurs still has what has been lacking in nearly every film since - genuine awe.
Of course many people complained that the humans in the film were boring compared to the dinosaurs, but so what. The characters were even more cardboard in the book and at least the actors in the film were likable. Like Jaws and Star Wars, JP ushered in a new era of filmmaking. Unfortunately, most of the big effects films since haven't understood the less is more approach is the more effective one.
Arran
Site Admin

Postby Oz Rembrandt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:47 pm

I love JP. One of the first great and epic films I ever saw. The blend of Animatronics and CGI have never been surpassed.
Oz Rembrandt

Postby Master Blaster » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:02 am

A local theater is showing it as a midnight movie in November. I can't wait. This will be the first time I've ever seen it in a theater because when it was released, my damn parents said they thought it would be too scary. I don't see why: dinosaurs eating people in an amusement park is pretty much the stuff of six-year-old boys' orgasms.
Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
Master Blaster

Postby Oz Rembrandt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:58 pm

That's the truth. It has it's scary moments for a kid, but it's so much what every kid (or at least most boys) want to see in a film.

I'd love to re-see it at the cinema.
Oz Rembrandt

Postby Golden Wolf » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:01 am

Of all of Spielberg's movies, this one is the most overrated.

Sure, it's not bad, BUT it does not deserve it's legions of fans. Even Peter Jackson's King Kong is better. The original Kong, your average Ishiro Honda Godzilla film and even your average Harryhausen dinosaur film is better than Jurassic Park.
Golden Wolf

Return to Steven Spielberg